Saturday 9 July 2011

Chipping in on the end of an era...

As it's all  finally coming to an end, I feel I should thrown my penny's worth in on the phenomenon that is of course, Harry Potter.

Now nearing the age of 22, I am of the generation that grew up practically age perfect for the books. I remember being sent the first two as they came out in paperback by my grandmother, and devouring them in no time at all. By the time Prisoner of Azkaban was about to be released I wasn't about to hang about the the paperback. From then on I read through every single one on the day of publication.

What is unique about these books is the way they captured the imagination not just of a generation, but of the world. Will Gompertz wrote an article today (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14081148) that at the end questions whether 400,000,000 people can be wrong about the success of Harry Potter. I would have to say now.


While people remain divided on the issue of the quality of J. K. Rowling's style, whatever your opinion may be, whether you love Harry or hate his guts, you have to admit that J. K. Rowling has created a magical world that it is more than acceptable to get lost in, regardless of age or nationality.

I am not ashamed to admit that as the film series draws to a close I too am going to be sad. I don't like the film's because they're good, I like them because they are comfort viewing. They're safe. They're like a best friend. But at the same time they get so much wrong (or what I personally consider to be wrong) that they do not destroy the magical world I have in my head.

Will Gompertz poses the idea that this isn't the end for Harry Potter. I just wonder if maybe this is a phenomenon that needs to be cherished and  left beautifully untouched.

No comments:

Post a Comment