Friday 11 January 2013

52 Books Challenge #2

I came across this weeks book as I perused my kindle library on my phone (the delights of modern technology!). I had never read any Ken Follet and though Pillars of the Earth has been recommended to me, I was not ready embark upon the epic reading of that so early in the challenge, then I stumbled over Night Over Water.



I didn't have a clue that to expect but just dived straight in. The book immediately appealed. Set at the outbreak of WWII and focusing on the "final" flight of the Pan American Clipper (a vehicle I was completely unaware of) hooked me, as did Ken Follet's excellent character development.

The plot routinely jumped between three main groups of characters all united by the fact they had all obtained passage on this fabled last flight and the with a story line thick with romance, adultery, espionage, blackmail and double crossing there's plenty to get your teeth stuck into. The pace of the novel is fast and the constant too and fro of perspectives is a benefit rather than a hindrance. 

At it's cour however Night Over Water is about the excitement and the novelty of something that is now common place: flying over the Atlantic. The Pan American Clipper is the main character and the sagas surrounding this flight are made possible by the design and the era of the plan itself. It is a story of the triumph or engineering and, in a sad way, the end of innovation. The Pan American Clipper was an astounding feat. but it's time was to be short lived as WWII changed the way technology and made the Pan American Clipper obsolete before it's time had really begun. 

On the strength of this outing I am intrigued to see what more Follet has to offer and I'm very glad that I decided to pick this up on a whim!

No comments:

Post a Comment