Sunday 30 June 2013

Sometimes, a second go is all you need! (52 Books #17)

So I gave Mr James Rollins a second chance and read another of his books. I thought I'd go for Sandstorm, the first in his SIGMA series. It was fabulous.


It was fun, it was exciting, it was imaginative to the point of crazy and I found it much more rewarding than Excavation. The way Rollins organises his books is clearly to jump form character arc to character arc within chapters, and while I still found this jarring, I found Sandstorm to be a tighter knit story and the interviewing aspect of the story worked well. In general I think I prefer more linear books, I could get used to his style.

It is different for books like The Time Travelers Wife. They nature of the story lends itself to a narrative that jumps too and fro and Rollins' stories don't lend themselves to it in the same way. Despite that niggling qualm, I found this much more readable and I'm looking forward to reading more.

This is a book for anyone who's a fan of Matthew Reilly (as anyone who reads this will know I most definitely am) and would also suit anyone who like's Dan Brown (I am rather excited to read Inferno and I'm hoping it's better than The Lost Symbol) or even if you're just a fan of action films with a historical twist in a book form! Some parts of this plot are crazy it's true, but why not...just why not! 

No comments:

Post a Comment