Friday 28 June 2013

Four in two days... Is it possible? Of course it is!! (52 Books #16)

It's been quiet of late, what with heading to the UK for a holiday (England... for a holiday... who'd have thought it!) and the constant run of departures and arrivals that have happened since it's all been rather hectic - in the best of ways! Thankfully it's calming down again now. It's feels like I've reached the peak of the mountain and I'm happily running down the other side (channeling the Sound of Music all the way) and with more of that elusive space in which I think I've been picking up my books and my pen again. 

Sadly I've not yet hit the target for this month and either I finish four books in the next two days, or I have to read six a month from now to December - luckily that's still manageable! I have managed to get through one book this month (even if I did start it in May!) I finally finished Divided Kingdom by Rupert Thomson. 


I read through the sample at great speed and then read through a handful of the reviews on amazon to see if the purchase of the rest was worth it - I usually wait for a book to come on offer as this was still fairly pricey.   Despite a fair number of reviews being less than positive about the latter stages of the book, I bought it anyway. While I wasn't disappointed by the book, I do have to agree with some of what I read on amazon. It is true that once Thomas Parry, the main protagonist, grows up and goes out into the world, the story loses  much of it's heart. It seems aimless, restless with a flicker of inspiration here or there that is never, quite, followed up on. 

That's not to say that it is not good. It is. The overall idea, the themes of the story, the idea that you cannot fit someone's personality into a box are good and sound and the beginning is exciting, I just wish that that excitement had remained through the entire book! I would recommend it, and I'd probably pick it up again, but there is this niggling feeling that, just perhaps, it could have been a little better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment