Tuesday 1 December 2015

Moving to Korea: Need To Know

Moving to a new country is one of the most daunting things you can do. Moving to a country where this is minimal cultural diversity and even less English can be even more terrifying. Korea is definitely on this list. It doesn't help that of all the information out there on the internet, the majority is less than complimentary. In addition, some of it is a little dated... things move fast in Asia! So, to help anyone moving here any time soon, and let's face it this post will probably be defunct in no time, so until then, here's a few things you should know:

*feel free to ignore any or all of the following as all are entirely my own observation and opinion! Maybe I should disclaimer that I love Korea!! :P

***

1: Take everything you read on the internet with a pinch of salt, but a wise mind. 


So I'm talking about all those horror stories. We've all read them (or at least, those of us looking at coming to Korea) and they really do ramp up the terror. The thing is, Korea can be a hard country to live in and that's not because of Korea or the Koreans, but more to do with us as the foreigners. It's just different, they're different, we're different and it's not for everyone. Whilst it's true that some  horror stories have and do happen, read everything with a questioning mind and rely on your gut instinct.

2: They DO have deodorant here. 


Granted, it's not a large selection, but they have it. And it's easy to find. So that's that issue de-bunked.

3: The bedding is just fine, as are the towels. 


I read so much about bringing your own bedding and towels. My initial response: "Ain't nobody got time for that!" In all seriousness, who really wants to cart their bedding all over the world! So I bought mine here. And my towels. And it's just fine. I even prefer it. They have these wee ties on the duvet and the cover so that the duvet NEVER moves. As a sleeper who tosses and turns a lot this is a revelation. Pure genius I tell you. And they do have big towels! (I'd recommend making a Korean friend and getting them to help you order off Gmarket!)

4: Learn to read Korean. 


This is one piece of advice that everyone gives and it's one that is invaluable. There aren't too many English signs about (at least not in these parts, I'm in the South of the country) so reading Korean is invaluable. It is really easy, once you've got the basics down. It's also really useful for menus, once you've got your favourite beer, soju and side dishes down, you're good to go!

5: You're not in Kansas any more, Dorothy. 


When in Rome, do as they Romans do. It's an obvious truth that a fair few people forget when they're here. Some people don't like the idea of bowing to others, they may not like the fact that everything has to be signed off by a multitude of people before it get's the go ahead and I know that many people struggle with the last minute nature of things. Well for the latter 2, it's not just the foreigners who get irritated by this, it's just as much of a bind for the Koreans too! As for the bowing - it's their culture and they have invited us in. It's a mark of respect and they will respect us so much more if we try and respect their customs and culture, as we should.

6: The Korean's are lovely, lovely people. 


Perhaps I should have started this... I remember reading so much about how Koreans were rude, unwelcoming and, a few times, downright tyrannical. This could not be further from the truth. There are a few oddballs and people you don't want to be around, but that is in no way unique to Korea, that would be true of any country in the world. I have found Koreans to be incredibly kind and welcoming and more than happy to lend a hand should I need it. They have invited me to dinners and into their homes. The society here is focused on family and community and I have been lucky that I have not been treated as an outsider. It's a wonderful thing to be part of: embrace it.

7: Personal questions are the norm - don't be offended. 


You will frequently asked your age, if you're single, and if so why/when you will be married. It's totally normal. Just roll with it!

8: ALWAYS recycle. 


Find out which day is the day for recycling, and keep a stock of clear plastic bags for this purpose. I've used large white bags from stores *shops, I mean shops, slap my wrist* and they do just fine, especially when they're obviously full of recycling. And always have a handy supply of rubbish bags (available from convenience stores and large supermarkets in blue and yellow! They're very on the button about it, so make life easy and follow the rule, and as a bonus you can feel really good about yourself.

9: Take your shoes off indoors. 


Always. Always, always, always. Especially in elementary schools and absolutely if you are visiting someone's home. It's got to the point that I now carry around a pair of socks if I'm wearing sandals! A #koreanproblem for sure, but I'm totally OK with that!

10: Try the food!!!


This should be a no-brainer! You've travelled the world, try the local delicacies. Whilst they may not all be to your taste, there will (hopefully) be something that lights your fires, and if not then at least you tried. Liken it to someone telling you your home cooked food is disgusting. No one wants to hear that. Here, all Koreans are very proud of everything Korean, and why shouldn't they be - it's their country. Show them you're willing to try, even if it isn't you thing. They will appreciate the effort!

11: They have Earl Grey Tea! 


Someone mentioned to me in passing that they had read there was no Earl Grey tea in Korea. That's not true! They have Earl Grey - they even have Twinings! So all is good with the world!

12: They coffee isn't half bad! 


Korean's love, and I mean really love, their coffee. Coffee shops everywhere. I'm pretty sure their instant coffee is some of the best I've had (and I dislike instant coffee intensely). Their local coffee chains aren't half bad either, and you can buy their coffee beans. Once more, all is good with the world!

13: There's more to Korea than Seoul.


Seoul is amazing, it really is. It's big and busy and full of all the things you can't find elsewhere in Korea, but there's so much else going on in the rest of the country! Don't be afraid to explore or even live somewhere else. I was dead set on Seoul to begin with, but I'm not beyond thankful that I ended up in a quieter city. Wherever you are, Seoul isn't very far away! All hail the fabulous public transport!

14: The public transport is... just wow!


The public transport in Korea is awesome. It runs, it's cheap, it goes everywhere! Your journeys might take a wee bit of planning and a change here or there, depending on where you're going, but in general it's a breeze, and I love it!


***


And so ends the list. Phew! I wasn't expecting it to be that long, but if it helps then fabulous! Anything else I need to add, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment