Saturday 9 February 2013

52 Books Challenge #6

So I'm back on track with a brand new unread book, but sadly this weeks book was a bit of a disappointment, so much so that I read it rather quickly and I'm sure there were bits and pieces here and there that I skipped. I wouldn't say that I would never read the author again ( I hear on the grapevine that her second novel was much better) but this one while not abysmal, wasn't great. The book in question is Trade Winds by Christina Courtnay.

 

The plot of the novel was, for the most part, it's saving grace. The writers personal knowledge and interest shine through and it is believable and in parts exciting, my personal problem was the way in which it was written. Set in the 1700's the dialogue did not match the time period and the section set in Scotland had swathes of dialogue that made me physically cringe. Having spent four years in Scotland, and having read Trainspotting, I know that this can be done better. It was the literary equivalent of Gerard Butler's terrible Irish accent in the film adaptation of Cecelia Ahern's P.S. I love you (a great book by the way).

All that said it was a joyful romp and although not one I am ever going to read again, I may brave Courtney's second novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment