Wednesday 29 May 2013

Running Away From Me (52 Books #15)

As everything this end has ratcheted up to silly levels, there has been little reading this week! Fear not! This is why the audiobook was invented! I am a bigger than big fan of the audiobook, I have been for years, only I've been listening to the same ones over and over again for a very long time now and I thought something new was needed. So off I went for some audible perusing and I came across Ngaio Marsh. I had never heard of her before, but I was intrigued (and sold on the fact that Benedict Cumberbatch was narrating it - and his voice is lends itself well to an audiobook).




Artists in Crime is a winner if you are an Agatha Christie fan. I have been a Christie devotee since my mums old dog-eared copy of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was pressed into my hands. Now however, Christie will have to share her place close to my heart with Ngaio Marsh. She can never be usuerped, but Marsh tells stories with a similar feel from the same era and delight my imagination as much as Poirot and Marple do.

It is a sedate murder mystery, solved with common sense, conversation and a wealth of general knowledge floating around the wonderful Inspector Roderick Alleyn's brain. I loved it and it has hit the spot with a wonderful bit of calm this week.  If you want a relaxed and easy read that stirs up a world gone by, this is an author for you. I feel that for myself this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship!

No comments:

Post a Comment