Tuesday 24 January 2012

Let's attempt this again.

As a budding writer, I've been thinking about any books I really have to read and among those I thought of were the Narnia books. I have, at 22, still not read them. All of them are on the book shelves, and I have attempted many of them, but rarely got beyond the first chapter. Once I became aware of the God metaphor I was even less interested in reading them, and so these apparent literary greats have, by me, been untouched. Until recently...

I have always been a Tolkein groupie, but I thought it was about time I ploughed my way through his friend C.S. Lewis' chronicles of Narnia. So far I have reached the third chapter of Prince Caspian and I am hooked and now I am beginning to fully appreciate how clever Lewis' metaphor is.

His story's are simple and to the point. There is no faffing around and they appeal to the individuals imagination. The films, I have little doubt, have much to do with my renewed interest - mostly to do with my mums comment that they have often portrayed things exactly as she imagined them. I suppose I am reading them in part to see if this is true, but I don't know if it will work backwards!

But nearly two and a half books in, enchanted though I am, it's no Lord of the Rings, nor a patch on the Hobbit. Tolkien has kept his crown!

No comments:

Post a Comment