Monday 23 January 2012

Tonight My Inspiration Is Going To Be...

I remember the first short story I ever wrote was during my GCSE's, and the inspiration for it came from a painting I had seen in a book. The painting was by Edvard Munch - and no, it wasn't 'The Scream'! It was, in fact, 'By The Deathbed', a lithograph from 1896.

I was as proud as anyone can be of their first short story, but not proud enough to write any more and to that end I recently joined the Telegraphy Short Story Club, hence the return to the one and only one that I have written and the inspiration behind it. It was then that I got thinking about other paintings that could maybe provide the same inspirational jolt... queue hours of internet searching that resulted in this...


Van Gogh's, 'Cafe Terrace At Night'. This was not a work that I was familiar with, having seen all of Van Gogh's most famous works, but this is a painting that made me sit up and think "I wish I'd painted that!" Sadly I am sorely lacking in any artistic skill, so I am setting myself the challenge of writing a short story that truly does this magnificent painting justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment