Monday 15 July 2013

About time for down time! Phew! (and 52 Books #19 & #20)

It's been the best part of four weeks since I got back from my holiday to the UK and I've been rushing around being ridiculously social every since (for anyone who know's me this may be something of a surprise as I am most usually to be found eschewing large get-togethers in favour of down time with a good book, cup of tea or a blank page). There have been farewell parties, sad goodbyes, euphoric returns and a myriad of welcomes. This weekend I've spent my time off doing sweet f-all. It's been brilliant.


That's not to say I haven't enjoyed my running around though! I've been to new places (lets be honest, that's hardly difficult in Hong Kong, there is just SO MUCH to do), experienced a variety of weathers (well it's a Hong Kong Summer, though without a doubt cooler than last year - who'd have thought I'd ever look at 81% humidity and respond with "that's low!") and been on a Junk - only taken me 14 months!



What the last few days has afforded me (and about time too) is ample reading and writing time! I have just spent my time giggling away to Miranda's gloriously funny Is It Just Me?


Written as she speaks, it was a total delight and had me laughing out loud the whole way through! Miranda holds a special place as I spent happy times watching it with one of my friends who has now left Hong Kong, but fear not - she has gone armed with her Heather Small mask! In all seriousness, what more could you ask for!

I was finishing the above as the new broke that J.K. Rowling had written the Robert Galbraith book, The Cuckoo's Calling. My, what an outstanding marketing ploy that was. Naturally, I had to see what all the fuss was about.


While I have never pegged Rowling as the most technical of writers, it's never mattered due to her ability to tell an excellent story. I, personally, enjoyed A Casual Vacancy. I found it so very different to Harry Potter, yet still as readable. It was just what it needed to be - a complete departure. The Cuckoo's Calling dips a toe back into adventure (something that Harry Potter couldn't be without) and it's clear that Rowling was much more comfortable writing this one. I have a hunch this may also have been due to the complete lack of pressure surrounding it's writing and publication - and who can blame her after storm that is Harry Potter. It's well worth the read!

And for the next seven weeks I will be battling through summer courses and generally having fun with my students, that this week includes Mayan Headresses! Looking rather fine, even if I do say so myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment