Tuesday 16 April 2013

A Book I tell You... Another Book... (#8)

So it's not a week, but maybe I'll be able to hit 52 by the end of the year... (see post below). Challenge heartily accepted and here is one that I have read through at double quick speed: Going Solo by Roald Dahl.



I have read Boy many a time and delighted in Roald Dahl's wonderful ability to recount his memories in the most humours and laugh-out-loud ways. Going Solo maintained much of this but also had a level of seriousness that I have not encountered in any of his writing that I have read up to now. This alteration is of course because of the time to which he was referring (from 1939) and the stories and ideals of the people he meets. Despite this backdrop Dahl still manages to inject much of the book with his wonderful humour.

I was hooked within the first two pages simply because of the explanation of the collective vocabulary the the Empire Builders as-was had in common, regardless of location. Some are words that I am very used to hearing and I can put this down to the fact that my father and my grandfather are all connected to various parts of the British Armed Forces. The fact there are a few words thrown in their that I use makes it all the funnier.

I would always recommend Roald Dahl to anyone. The Twits and Fantastic Mr Fox have long been favourites and I vividly remember the first time someone but an old battered copy of Boy into my hands. I didn't put it down until it was finished and there was little difference for this. Dahl's autobiography is a must for any fan of his writing and it is so much fun to join him as he flies (almost literally) through Africa. Magical!

Nelly x

No comments:

Post a Comment