Tuesday 16 April 2013

Go With The Flow.

So it is no surprise that my 52 books challenge has become as flat as a pancake, but I have not stopped reading, oh no! I recently discovered the most amazing bookshop in the world: Flow.

Flow is a second hand, predominantly English bookshop tucked away in a tiny room just off the Mid-Level escalators in Soho (and who ever thought a few years ago that I'd be writing that sentence!) Flow really is the last word in second hand bookshops. The organisation is brilliant and logical (titles in alphabetical order or books by subject) and but the overflow is a jumbled mess of all sorts, but to my mind this makes the experience ten times more exciting. You never know what you are going to find! Flow is so called because it is all about the flow of the books themselves; coming into the shop, leaving and coming back to be sold again. It's like a localised Book Crossing!

I finally found my way to Flow (it felt a little like a treasure hunt) in order to find one particular book. I had been hankering after the book for a few weeks and it is one of the many books that I have sitting on my shelves back in England that have not been digitalised. The book in question was Matthew Reilly's Seven Ancient Wonders. I love all of his books, but this one and Temple have always been two particular favorites. To my joy of joys, there the book was, sitting happily on a shelf calling out to me to be bought. And so it was.... along with seven others... (though one was for a friend). Flow has thus cemented itself as one of my favourite places in HK!

So I have a reading list and all in proper book form. There is nothing better than having a real book with real pages in you hands, and the books that I will soon be reviewing are:

  • Little Bee by Chris Cleave Finished!
  • Vernon Godlittle by DBC Pierre  Had to call it a day on this one!
  • The Guernsey Literary Peel and Potato Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
  • Hell Island by Matthew Reilly  Finished, see review here.
  • The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith Also finished, see review here.
  • Excavation by James Rollins Another finished, see here. 

Alongside these I am also reading Bloodlands by Timoth Snyder and Tea: A History of the Drink that Changed the World (I am a devoted tea lover) and Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone in French (somehow Madam Pomfrey became Madam Pomfresh....!) Really it's not unusual for me to have a good ten books on the go at any one time, but that's the way I like it. Reviews will hopefully be flooding in shortly!!

Nelly x

No comments:

Post a Comment