Wednesday 24 April 2013

And We're In Double Figures (52 books #10)

So yes, it is a book I've read before (many times) but not in the last 16 months *sob* and this was the book I went to Flow in search of! Seven Ancient Wonders by Matthew Reilly is one of my all time favourites, aided in no small part by my horrendous bias! I have loved every story Matthew Reilly has written and though for a long time Scarecrow and his crew were top of my list, there were well and truly usurped by Jack West and his multi-national team of heroes!

Flow Bookshop (courtesy of their webpage) - How utterly brilliant is this place!!




I was first introduced to Matthew Reilly's books back in the early 2000's when a friends brother took a tip to Australia and returned with three books: Contest, Temple and Ice Station. After they had been consumed by the brother and my friend it was my turn. I read them in the order above and now own all of them (and the rest) myself. Temple is also high up there on the list, and I can say that with two specific pages in mind. They bring back the memory of my friend and I sat on her bedroom floor, each with a Matthew Reilly book in hand and quite content. 

Seven Ancient Wonders is the first in a set (well trilogy for now, but I'm keeping my hopes up for more) about Jack West Jr. Being a history nut the story here was always going to be a winner for me and it did not disappoint. Add to that Reilly's ability to create a vast range of colourful characters and imagine increadible things and you have a book that made moi almost squeal with glee. The inner Indiana Jones was more than satisfied. 

It's a race against time, space and the bad guys with a group of central protagonists who themselves are not all entirely at ease with the lot that has fallen to them, but fallen to them it has. They do what they have to do, and we get to rocket along with them. Reilly's balance of action and explanation is (for me) prefect. 

Reading a Matthew Reilly book is like reading a film. It takes your imagination to new levels with his excellent description and with the odd plan thrown in. What I will forever be sure of is that so long as Matthew Reilly keeps publishing, I will keep reading.

Toodles, 

Nelly x

No comments:

Post a Comment