Friday 24 May 2013

All Change on The Eastern Front

Everyone we meet, throughout our lives, shapes us. Some stay, some go, and some drift in and out of your life with no warning or structure. Childhood friends, school friends, uni friends, flat mates, colleagues. They all hold a different place in our hearts, some overtake others as we continue, always, to grow. All are part of us. And tomorrow is the last day I will spend at work with two people I have grown to love and will keep, I hope, for the rest of my life.

Photo: From Happy Valley Racing

I arrived in Hong Kong with no clue what the next stop on this journey of life held for me. Having never traveled before, or been so far away from home for such a long time, I had no idea how I would adjust. I was lucky that my colleagues arrived at roughly the same time as me and we knew that we would be spending a year together. And boy were we together. Here, where space is at a premium, we've been as near as makes no difference teaching on top of each other, working in each others pockets. I could not have shared this time with more brilliant people.

We are three very different personalities, I'm not sure that in a crowded room that we would have gravitated towards each other. But that had been the joy of coming out here, that was part of the adventure. Luckily for us, it worked. We compliment each other, we get on. But all good things must come to an end, and while I stay here the others are moving on, moving away. We are fortunate that in this age of technology, keeping in contact has never been easier.

It's not just these two wonderful girls who are leaving, it's all change on the Eastern front in the ext 6 weeks, this is the nature of our job, people come and go like the ebb and flow of the tide, albeit a tide that takes many months to complete its cycle. The fresh waves carry with them new travelers, ready to explore and discover. I have already met one and I am looking forward to meeting the rest. It is exciting.

It is a common phrase that, when one door closes another opens. I have no door to close, but more time to explore where this door leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment