Saturday 18 May 2013

To Boldly Go...

Having a wee check back i've seen it is five months since I last went to the cinema! I used to go at least once a week back when I had a cineworld card, but alas there is no equivalent that I have yet found out here and tickets are a little on the steep side. Still, every so often a film comes round that you just have to see. Deep within me there is a Star Trek fan. Star Wars I can take or leave, but I remember coming home from school and Star Trek being shown on BBC2 at around 6pm. Those were the days.

Naturally when the first film in the reboot series came out it had to be seen. I loved it and even though at times it did teeter slightly on the edge of cheese it's up there with my favourites. It has, however, been blown out of the water (no pun intended if you've seen it) by its sequel, Star Trek  Into Darkness.


There is so much to love about this film. 
First, the beginning. It opens with fast paced action and then slows right down. It's two completely different tones that actually set the scene perfectly. It's a touch that is echoed throughout the film in both actions and characters.
Second, the dialogue. The Script is very good. Funny, emotional, serious and JJ Abrams constructed scenes brilliantly. 
Third, Benedict Cumberbatch. I was a little unsure, much as I love Cumberbatch, but every single doubt I had was quashed the moment he appears on screen. The best way I can put it without spoiling it or giving too much away is to say he is the best villain I have seen in a long time, by a long, long way. 
Fourth, the music. Michael Giacchino has done it again, worth praise for the track London Calling alone!
Fifth, the costumes. Who doesn't love a bad guy in an epic black coat (or a good guy Morpheus/Neo a la The Matrix). Nuff said! Actually, a man in any decent coat, i.e. Matthew McFadden's Mr Darcy and Colin firth's Mr Darcy a la Bridget Jones! 
Sixth, the me against the world complex. My does this call for epic fight scenes and some bad ass heroics! 

There is so much more besides, but I don't want to give too much away. This has already been added to my list of DVD's needed, and I'm seriously debating going again!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment