Sunday 19 May 2013

Easy Like Sunday Morning

So the heat and a humidity have arrived! While it's not as much as a shock as it was arriving to the heat last year, it's still no more enjoyable. Spending any time outside in the heat can get on the uncomfortable side, and the sensation of going from cold inside to hot outside still bemuses me. Today though has very much been an "I <3 Hong Kong" Sunday! It's days like this that make me never want to leave and it has nothing to do with the temperature. I was given a call by a friend and she introduced me to a place I know is going to become one of my favourite haunts, -t-e-a-k-h-a-.



This wee cafe is tucked away in Sheung Wan, a place I am not hugely familiar with but on that I am now itching to explore more thoroughly. It's not as built up (literally up) as other parts of Hong Kong and it has a very laid back and relaxed feel to it, -t-e-a-k-h-a- in particularly. It really is tiny, but the outside seating means there's a lot of space for overflow on a sunny day. Wooden tables and chairs amble outside, and even though you're in the heart of the city, it's a nice view. I could be saying that just because I've been here so long, but there's something about Hong Kong that makes it more than just grey buildings.




My drink of choice was the Thai Iced Tea (left) and my friend had Caramalised Lemon Tea. The Thai Iced tea was the most amazing orange colour thanks to the spices in it (I can't remember exactly of the top of my head) and was made into a milk tea using condensed milk - my first milk tea in Hong Kong! Only taken me a year! The feedback on the lemon tea was that it too, was excellent.

It's not a place that does a lot of food - it has some cakes and the lightest of light snakes (the toast with ham, scrambled eggs and tomato salsa had me salivating as it went by) but instead we each settled for a scone, I had a fig scone, my friend a ginger one. Light, fluffy and with just the right amount of flavour, they complimented the tea perfectly. You really can't get better than tea and cake in sunshine!

Quite some time later as we moseyed down to the Western Market and the tram stop, we passed a new Chinese curry takeaway that is newly opened, Currysing. We tried some chicken kebabs (excellent!) and I just have to share this with you - their chili levels:


So if you happen to be on Queens Road in central, drop by and give it a whirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment