Tuesday 7 May 2013

Yes, We Have Another One! (52 books # 11)

I may be doing appallingly in this personal challenge of mine, but it's still going...only another 41 to go... This equates to roughly 6 books per month from now to the end of December! If I can read the entire Hunger Games trilogy in a couple of days then I can complete this challenge by 31st December!

Today then we have another kindle store snap purchase: White Bones by Graham Masterton.

Crime Fiction just isn't Crime Fiction
without the gloomy backdrop!

This book was majorly creepy, there were bits of it I had to force myself to get through, wincing all the while, but I couldn't stop reading it. Masterton wove a story that I just had to know the end of and it couldn't just be a skip to the end. There were so many interweaving facets to the story that on occasion the brain got a little befuddled, but it all came right in the end.

I initially picked up in this as it is essentially a crime novel, with Katie Maguire as the leading protagonist who is as strong a female detective as you'll find anywhere. she has a steeliness and yet open vulnerability that makes her easy to like and respect all at once. She doesn't try to be macho or hide everything just to keep up with the boys, and I like that. She expects to be taken as she is, not what people assume. I was not expecting it to be as creepy and gory as it was (I've never heard/read Graham Masterton before) but it was one of the most captivating detective stories I've read in a while.

Horror/Creepy stuff isn't really the first thing I look for in a book, they're pretty far down my radar, but Masterton cloaked the creepyness in History and Irish myths (which are my cup of tea) and made it much more palatable and readable.

It's not a book for the squeamish or fainthearted and if you can't cope with gore or any kind then it's not for you, but if you can cope with the aforementioned then read this book. It's an excellent story, I like the characters and I had to read it to the end. I had to know who, why and how. It wasn't what I was expecting,  but it was an excellent 59p purchase and I am off to go and find some more (tame) Graham Masterton to read...

No comments:

Post a Comment