Tuesday 21 May 2013

On Soy Sauce

I love soy sauce. I think its one of cooking's great inventions and without doubt a store cupboard essential. I thought, moving out to Hong Kong that finding soy sauce would be a doddle... I was partially mistaken. In the UK when you go into the supermarket you will find your Amoy and your blue dragon soy sauces, often in large and small sizes and Often with a choice of light or dark varieties. Sometimes there may be a third or even a fourth brand to choose from. So far so simple. Often the choice is dictated by which ones are on offer if any,  and at the end of the day there isn't much scope for going wrong when faced with barely a shelf of choice. Well let me show you the wealth of choice in Hong Kong:


I tell you the scope for making mistakes is huge, but then alongside that you've got all the exciting new discoveries. One such discovery has been chili soy sauce.




This packs a punch with out and out chili heat and it's wonderful. This is my favourite thing to do with it: stir-fried veg and noodles, sometimes with bacon, sometimes with chicken, but always wonderfully yummy. It's western Asian cuisine at it's most comforting! Sadly I've no idea if there is anything similar floating around in the UK but if it's ever stumbled across then do try it, but remember to practice caution. Only the tiniest amount is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment